9/13/2005

so I've been listening to EPMD's Strictly Business lately, I'm really liking it. They're a late 80s-early 90s rap group, really cool stuff. The rappers (Erick Sermon and Parrish Smith, EPMD stands for "Erick and Parrish making dollars") have kind of slurred, rolling flows and they use a lot of samples, some pretty obvious and funny, like "I Shot the Sherrif," "Jungle Boogie," some Zapp and Roger, and that Steve Miller Band song, "Fly Like an Eagle". The first few tracks, "Strictly Business," "I'm Housin'," "Let the Funk Flow," (which uses the same sample as Nas' "Nastradamus", directly followed by a Beastie Boys sample), and "You Gots to Chill," are great- catchy, with cool beats and good rhymes. All the really strong, but the first part of the CD is my favorite. I think they also coined the phrase "chill to the next episode" which Dr. Dre used on Chronic 2001. Anyway, check out the album, it's really great. All Music Guide gave it 5 stars and Amazon has some clips.

No comments:

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram