6/14/2005

so I saw a sign for a bridal shower at work the other day and it got me thinking: why are there bridal showers and baby showers, but no birthday showers, graduation showers, promotion showers, etc? Maybe the word "shower" implies presents, since I guess you get stuff at baby showers and bridal showers, but you get presents at birthdays and graduation parties too. So why not just call them "bridal party" and "baby party"? Or maybe "shower" implies it's just for women, since I've never heard one of my male friends talking about this baby shower they have to go to. And from what I see on TV, I hope I never get invited to any kind of shower anyway. They look boring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the distinction between a shower and a party is one of agency: showers are given for the lucky victim, whereas the others are celebrated with and usually organized by. Surprise parties would therefore be showers.
(just so the world makes a little more sense, I ended up here via your OKcupid profile.)

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram