6/18/2005

Head of Femur, Dr. Dog, Architecture in Helsinki at DC9


headoffemur
Originally uploaded by squidpants.
so if my blog sponsored concerts, it would have been the Head of Femur, Dr. Dog, Architecture in Helsinki show I went to the other day at DC9, since these are all fairly obscure bands and I just happened to write about Head of Femur and Architecture in Helsinki a couple times previously. Technically Architecture in Helsinki were in the headliners, but I really went to see Head of Femur, who I saw a few months ago in Philly. They were decent in Philly but were very good this show, very tight musically and played mostly cool stuff. I really liked the new single (I think) "Elliott Gould Is In California Split" which is also available on their website, and they played some stuff I liked from their older album. I wrote a review of earlier).


They also had a guy who looked just like Will Ferrell in the "More Cowbell" sketch, which was pretty hilarious. He had curly hair, a weird shirt and these big sunglasses, which were actually on over another pair of glasses - pretty odd. He played these bongo drums standing up with a cigarette dangling from his mouth. The second photo is him about to bang a gong: (little T Rex reference there). Anyway, I enjoyed most of their set. They had a few slower ones which I was not as impressed with, but it was fun. And it was pretty crowded on stage since there were 8 of them and DC9 is a small place. The keyboard player was actually off the stage to the side.

The second band, Dr. Dog, were also pretty fun. Sort of similar to Head of Femur, they played catchy, pretty fast stuff, but a little more Southern/folksy and slightly jammy. They played at Bonnaroo the other day, so I guess that make sense. They were also really energetic and fun to watch, the guitarist (with the sunglasses and hat in the photo below) jumped all over the place like Angus from AC/DC, and they were just generally good performers. Also an enjoyable set.

Architecture in Helsinki were better than I thought they'd be-I heard them play the other day on WOXY.com and I was not impressed, they sounded very loose and not overly skilled and the whispery guy was annoying (I also complained about that on my review of their first CD). However, they were pretty good this show and the whispery guy didn't get on my nerves, so it ended on a high note. They sounded about the same as their albums, kind of twee stuff, but I sometimes wish they wouldn't stop their songs so much and change them around. But that said, it was a generally solid show and I was happy. There's a photo of them below. I kept getting farther away from the stage as I went for a beer or whatever.

There are bigger versions of these photos on my Flickr page.

No comments:

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram