4/28/2005

Damien Jurado and Radar Bros at the Black Cat


Radar Bros
Originally uploaded by squidpants.
So i went to see Damien Jurado and the Radar Bros at the backstage of the Black Cat the other day. I had never heard a song by either one, but it was a good show. Radar Bros opened, and play slow countryish rock, sort of like the slow Pink Floyd songs, but twangier. It was good but almost put me to sleep. One of the guitar players was great too, (on the left in the photo, also played keyboards). (Mp3s and more info here). Damien Jurado is pretty folksy, but a lot of his songs are pretty sad and old-fashioned sounding, like the songs from "O Brother Where Art Thou" about people dying and whatnot. He's wasn't what I thought he'd look like either, when I first saw him I assumed he was the roadie - he's a big, burly guy. He put on a really good show though, and it really made me want to write songs, something I'd never done before. He was funny guy too, his guitar stopped working after one song, so the sound guy came out to see what was wrong. While the sound guy was working, he made up a song about the him, "sound guy, you have cool tattoos, you must get all the girls" etc, but it rhymed and was amusing. I usually don't like folky stuff, but I really enjoyed it. Check them out.

No comments:

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram