4/11/2006

so here's my most recent concert list. I missed a few of the last ones I listed.

FRI. APR. 14- LADYTRON 10pm Doors $15.00 930 Club.
Ladytron do really cool electroclash stuff and sometimes sing in Bulgarian

FRI APR 14 -NO SECOND TROY, THE OLD CEREMONY, BUDDAHEAD 9:00PM $10 Iota
The Old Ceremony is an acoustic band (guitar, violin, cello etc) that sound pretty neat, and I bet Iota will be a good place to see them, as that place always has good sound. Unfortunately I will be at Ladytron that day.

Sun April 16: half handed cloud, Vollmar. Galaxy Hut
Half-Handed Cloud is a guy in Sufjan Steven's band, and he opened for Sufjan awhile ago. I think I liked it, I forget.

TUES APR 25- ISLANDS (ex-Unicorns), WHY?, CADENCE WEAPON $12 mainstage 8:30 Black Cat.
I like the Unicorns, and the Islands stuff I've heard on Myspace is good, it's super poppy. Plus i like the pitcher on their albumn by Caspar David Friedrich. One of the few things I learned in art history class

SAT. MAY. 6 PHOENIX $15.00 930 Club
Phoenix is a catchy French band, they did some songs on the soundtrack of "Lost in Translation" and such.

FRI MAY 12- PINBACK $15 mainstage 9:30 Black Cat.
Pinback are what is sometimes called laptop indie, which means sort of introspective stuff with some electronic bits, I guess. I think one guy does all the music. It's pretty cool and delicate stuff but a lot of the songs build in intensity. Check out "Fortress" on their myspace page and Lyon from their website.

MON MAY 15- PRETTY GIRLS MAKE GRAVES, GIANT DRAG $13 mainstage 8:30 Black Cat.
The confident girl supershow. Giant Drag is a cool two-piece, and I have a thing for Annie, the singer and guitarist. They're pretty funny - they have songs like "Kevin is Gay", "My Dick Sux," and "You're Full Of Shit (Check Out My Sweet Riffs)" and on their myspace page, it says "Sounds Like: crap." Plus she starts "Kevin is Gay" by making a sound from Street Fighter 2.

WED MAY 17- MATT COSTA, THE 88 $12 mainstage 8:30 Black Cat.
I don't know much about either of these guys, but I downloaded a Matt Costa song I liked (here's the link), and the 88 are catchy power pop. Check them out on Myspace. They kinda remind me of OK Go.

SUN JULY 23- DIPLO, CSS, BONDE DO ROLE $13 Adv/ $15 DOS mainstage 8:30 Black Cat.
This show is going to be hipster central. Diplo is a DJ/remixer/etc who does the awesome version of Gold Digger, and Bonde Do Role is a Brazilian Baile funk band that's on his record label. Baile funk is a weird Brazilian genre, they take famous songs and mess them up and add Portuguese singing. The first song samples an Alice in Chains song, for example. The hipsters like it but it sort of grates on me.

No comments:

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram