4/10/2007

so I've complained about D.C.'s lack of voting rights before, but basically, Washington D.C. doesn't have a vote in Congress. I think this is very unfair. Why shouldn't we have a vote? There's 600,000 taxpayers here, but no vote.

However, I'm glad to see that there's a big D.C. Voting Rights March happening April 16 (which is also D.C. Emancipation Day, honoring the day where Lincoln freed slaves in D.C.) It starts at 2:30 pm at Freedom Plaza (Pennsylvania Ave NW between 13th and 14th) and goes to the Capitol. The Mayor, D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, a big choir, and more. I'm going, it should be pretty cool. Thankfully I have that day off.

DCist.com has more, and there's a clip of a documentary about DC's lack of a vote on Youtube.

No comments:

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram