1/12/2007

so i went to Restaurant Week last night. It's this deal where meals at fancy restaurants are $30 for an appetizer, entree and dessert. We picked this place Nage (which I think is a dumb name to begin with) and I didn't know what anything was. I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to grub, but apparently I am not cool enough.

The three entrees were a cassoulet of duck confit, crispy dorade royale with tomato fennel beurre blanc, and braised short rib gremolata, and one of the desserts was budino. Ok. After asking the waitress, it seems to me they're just using fancy terms for normal stuff - a cassoulet is a casserole, dorade royale is a fish that apparently used to be called sea bream, beurre blanc is white butter (as opposed to what, black butter?), gremolata is a little bit of chopped up veggies, and budino is the Italian word for custard. Because it would be too cheap sounding or not hip enough to just say casserole, bream, butter, vegetables, and custard.

The whole dining scene annoys me, all these restaurants with dumb hip names like IndeBleu, and all these ridiculous affected food names. I want to start a restaurant that is really tasty, but the menu is just MEAT - CHICKEN - CAKE.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

i would totally eat at your restaurant. especially the CAKE part.

Anonymous said...

I'm in.

Dave said...

i too enjoy cake

Cool shirts, hats and sweatshirts from Shirtgood!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram